It was so great to hear from Shane on Nov. 4th. I called him at about 6:30 or so to fill him in. His response was "Help! The internet is closed!" In the small town where Shane lives in Ecuador, the only fast internet is in the internet cafes in town. He and 2 friends, (one other American), were sitting at the only open restaurant in town waiting and celebrating together, hoping to hear good news. I was watching TV and giving him updates. I called him back just after Josie went to bed and as we were talking, they announced the winner. I took some pictures for Shane of what we were watching and held the phone up so he could hear, and toghether we listened to the acceptance speech. It was neat to be able to listen together even though we were a world apart.
As Josie had walked down the hall for bed, earlier in the evening she was practicing saying Barack Obama. "Bama Mama" she calls him. I snuck into her bedroom later that night, with tears still in my eyes, and kissed her on the forehead and told her to sleep safely and soundly in her new world. I copied the front page of the New York Times along with a note I had jotted down about the days events and tucked it into her baby book for safe keeping.
No comments:
Post a Comment